Child Custody Lawyer Austin, TX
Child Custody Lawyer Austin, TXIf you are a parent going through a divorce or separating from a partner, one of the most pressing issues you are likely facing is child custody, making an Austin, TX child custody lawyer essential. As a parent, you want to ensure your children are cared for and supported; and that you maintain a healthy and loving relationship with them. Unfortunately, child custody situations are often emotional, with much at stake. Gray & Becker, P.C., a child custody lawyer from Austin, TX can represent you, and help you and your children through this difficult time.
With over 35 years of experience helping parents with an array of child custody tribulations, our Austin, TX child custody lawyers are well-equipped to protect and fight for your interests. Our lawyers can offer you the support needed, while also providing you with an aggressive approach to your case. Gray & Becker, P.C. is dedicated to helping you find a solution.
How We Can Help You
There are a number of child custody issues you may be facing. Our lawyers are experienced in everything from helping with your personal decisions to handling your legal matters. Below are some situations you may be facing with which our Austin, TX child custody lawyers can help:
- Agreements Between Parents: In most divorces or separations, parents will agree on a child custody arrangement that is fair for the children and both parents. Deciding with the other parent usually involves less drama, but it doesn’t necessarily make the decision any easier. One of our lawyers can work as a mediator for you and the other parent to help weigh your options.
- Disagreements Taken to Court: If you and the other parent are unable to agree on a custody arrangement, then the case will be taken to court, where the state of Texas will ultimately decide. One of our child custody lawyers in Austin, TX will take every measure necessary to improve your chances of winning a custody arrangement that is in your favor.
- Sole Custody: If you believe that the other parent is unfit to have custody, then it is absolutely imperative that one of our lawyers represents you in your fight for sole custody. Because the courts prefer that children maintain relationships with both parents, they don’t like to grant sole custody unless it is absolutely necessary. A child custody lawyer in Austin, TX can help you gather all of the necessary evidence, including the testimony of expert witnesses to help prove your claims and win your case.
Some other common child custody case issues that may require our help include visitation rights, children’s rights, and cases when the other parent is not upholding their part of the agreement.
Advice on Child Support Modification
If you are having trouble paying child support, you likely feel pretty stressed out. Whether it is due to job loss or increased household expenses, struggling to make child support payments can really keep you up at night. However, you may be able to lower your payments through child support modification. It is a good idea to talk to an experienced family lawyer from Gray & Becker about your situation. Here is some helpful advice on how to modify child support:
It is important to take action as soon as you realize that you can’t afford your child support payments. The longer you wait to modify child support, the more money you will owe in the end. Child support payments can’t be discharged in bankruptcy.
Speak to Other Parent
The idea of talking to your ex-spouse about reducing child support payments might make you feel uncomfortable. However, it’s a necessary thing to do. Contact your ex-spouse and explain why you can’t make the previously agreed-upon child support payments. If you lost your job, for example, tell your ex-spouse that money is extremely tight for you until you find another job again. If you and your ex-spouse can agree on a new child support amount, you won’t have a deal with the emotional process of litigation.
Make an Effort to Pay Child Support
The child support order will remain in effect unless the court issues a new order, so it is important to keep paying as much child support as you can. If you are able to cut out any of your expenses, such as cable or Internet bills, to make higher payments, you may want to do that. If you do not make an effort to pay child support, it may affect your chances of getting child support modification.
Show That Your Circumstances Have Changed
In order for the judge to grant child support modification, you must demonstrate that there has been a significant change in your circumstances. For example, if you got fired from your job, you could show the judge your termination letter. It’s also important for you vigorously look for new employment and document your attempts.
File Your Request for Child Support Modification
The last step to take is to file a request for child support modification in the same court that issued the current child support order. The court must issue a new child support order in order for the child support modification to take effect.
Resolving Child Custody Disputes
Our Austin, Texas child custody lawyers, at Gray & Becker, P.C., focus on assisting families in Austin to resolve their child custody issues in a meaningful way. Disputes of this nature can be emotionally charged and acrimonious. This can make a difficult situation that much more challenging to navigate. With an experienced child custody lawyer in Austin, TX by your side who understands what is most important to you, the process of working out a mutually agreed upon child custody arrangement can be less painful. We welcome you to contact us at Gray & Becker, P.C. and make an appointment for a free consultation with our family law attorney. What follows is general information in advance of meeting with our Austin, TX child custody lawyer.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Child custody disputes in Austin can be successfully resolved by undergoing informal negotiations between the parents, often referred to as alternative dispute resolution proceedings. Typically, each parent hires a family law attorney to protect their rights throughout the process. By its conclusion, if the parties are able to agree to a child custody arrangement, courtroom litigation can be avoided. Most cases are resolved before proceeding to court where a family court judge makes a legally binding ruling on the child custody terms. A judge’s ruling may be unacceptable to both parties, whereas alternative dispute resolution proceedings can facilitate a more mutually beneficial arrangement. Our child custody lawyers in Austin, TX can review your case at no charge and determine if our firm is a good fit for representing you in this process. Here’s what to keep in mind:
- If the alternative dispute resolution process is successful, the terms will be specified in a written agreement authored by your and the other parent’s family law attorney. The agreement is sometimes called a “custody agreement,” a “parenting agreement,” or a “settlement agreement.” Before undergoing this process, your family law attorney from Gray & Becker, P.C. can provide an estimated timeline on how long it may take before concluding. This will vary on how complex the circumstances and the willingness of you and the other parent to work together to find suitable resolutions for the various issues regarding child custody.
- Alternative dispute resolution usually includes mediation and what is known as collaborative law. Basically, this describes the process of both parents working through the challenges of coming to an agreement in order to protect the best interests of the child or children. Our family law attorney can assist you in this process.
- One of the reasons why alternative dispute resolution is often the first step for many parents attempting to resolve child custody issues is that it’s a much more informal process than a courtroom proceeding. This can greatly reduce stress and pressure on the parents and lead to a more congenial process with the help of their child custody lawyer in Austin, TX.
- Alternative dispute resolution allows each parent to actively participate in coming to a mutual agreement. If they are not able to do this, they will have to go to court and the presiding Judge will decide on the child custody terms, and neither parent may be happy as a result.
If you would like to know more about alternative dispute resolution, and would like to talk to our child custody lawyer in Austin, TX during a free consultation, give us a call today.
Contact an Austin, TX Child Custody Lawyer Today
Whatever the problem may be, our lawyers at Gray & Becker, P.C. are dedicated to helping your case reach a resolution. Contact our office at 512-482-0061 to schedule a consultation with a member of our team. During your consultation, you can explain to our lawyers the specifics of your case, as well as bring up any questions and concerns you may have. We can then provide you with the necessary information and decide the best course of action to take. It is our goal to make you feel comfortable during these trying times and, above all, fight for you and your interests. Our Austin, TX child custody lawyers at Gray & Becker, P.C., look forward to working with you in obtaining the best possible outcome.