Monte L. Swearengen
- Represents municipalities, counties, corporations, closely held businesses, and individuals in civil litigation.
- Practice focuses on complex litigation, family law matters, and extensive appellate practice.
- Represents both plaintiffs and defendants in civil rights litigation, including class actions.
- Extensive experience in state and federal courts.
- Practiced before the Texas Supreme Court.
- Licensed to practice in the Fifth Circuit.
- Former Chair of Planning and Zoning Advisory Board for Webberville, Texas.
- Former Director, Webberville Economic Development Corporation.
- Former Mayor Pro Tem, Webberville, Texas.
- Successfully represented newly incorporated municipality defeating a challenge to the legality of the incorporation.
- Successfully represented corporate shareholders bringing suits for breach of fiduciary duties.
- Successfully represented law enforcement officers defeating allegations of civil rights violations.
- Successfully represented an elected official defeating an election challenge.
- Extensive appellate practice.
- Successfully defended award of attorney’s fees in asbestos class action.
- Successfully represented civil service commission in defeating appeal of decisions rendered.
- Successfully appealed jury verdict against a municipality brought by an individual trying to recover community impact fees.
- Represented a non-profit corporation holding state mandate to operate program through which disabled Texans provide goods and services to state and local governments.
- Represented a foreign national in complex divorce action.
- Successfully represented corporation in shareholder derivative suit.
Areas of Practice
- Governmental Defense
- Employment Law
- Civil Rights
- Commercial Litigation
- Family Law
- Constitutional Litigation
- Appellate Law
- Texas, 1989
- Supreme Court of Texas
- U.S. Federal Court Western District
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- Texas Tech University School of Law, Lubbock, Texas
- J.D., Doctor Jurisprudence – 1989
- Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
- Bachelor of Arts, Summa Cum Laude – 1985
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Planning and Zoning Advisory Board for Webberville, Texas, Formerly Chair
Pro Bono Activities
- Director, Webberville Economic Development Corporation
- Village Commissioner, Place One, Webberville, Texas