David B. McCall
Mr. McCall represents companies and individuals in all phases of upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas operations, and the negotiating and drafting of the contracts and agreements that form the cornerstone of these transactions. Mr. McCall also represents companies and individuals before the General Land Office of Texas, the Texas Railroad Commission and other agencies that have regulatory control over the exploration, production and transportation of hydrocarbons. Mr. McCall has been continuously Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law since 1986.
Beginning with his employment as a major oil company attorney in 1974, Mr. McCall has acquired a special expertise in the preparation of drilling, division order, acquisition and financing title opinions, having prepared thousands of these opinions during his 45-year career. Many of these opinions were prepared by “Stand Up” in the county where the leases and wells were located and examining title from the records maintained by the County Clerks and local abstract companies. Given the length of his career and experience, Mr. McCall frequently serves as an Expert Witness in title disputes, oil and gas related litigation and high asset divorces where oil and gas properties are involved.
Mr. McCall has also had significant experience as lead counsel in the preparation and trial of oil and gas litigation, condemnations, business litigation, and administrative and regulatory disputes, having appeared as counsel in 39 appellate decisions in courts involving significant oil and gas issues in Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico, including the Texas and Oklahoma Supreme Courts. Mr. McCall is a 1991 graduate of the National Trial College and received his mediation certification and training from St. Edwards University in 1991.
- Outside General Counsel of publicly traded Canadian Oil Company with international and onshore operations from 1983-1985.
- General Counsel of Victory Energy Corporation, a publicly traded company, 2011-2017.
- AV rated by Martindale Hubble as a Preeminent Practitioner of Oil, Gas and Mineral Law, and 2019 Top Rated Litigator.
- Member of the Management Committee of one of the leading Permian Basin based Oil and Gas firms, 1982-1991.
- Landmark verdict and settlement on behalf of a historical Texas Gulf Coast Family based on fraud and breach of contract.
- Represented oil company in challenging the constitutionality of the Texas General Land Office Royalty Audit Program, which program was held to be unconstitutional in its application.
- Successfully represented interstate natural gas pipeline in litigation that determined how royalties from split production streams in a pooled unit were to be paid.
- Successfully represented producers in one of the first take or pay cases tried in Texas, resulting in a multi-million-dollar verdict and settlement on behalf of producers.
Areas of Practice
- Oil, Gas and Mineral Law
- Oil and Gas Litigation
- Title Examination
- Administrative Law
- General Business Litigation
- Expert Testimony
- Texas, 1974
- Fifth Circuit
- Northern District of Texas
- United State Supreme Court
- Texas Tech School of Law, 1974
- McMurry University, 1971s
David McCall has received the following honors:
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Founding Fellow, Austin Bar Foundation
- Member, State Board of Barber Examiners, 1991-1997
- Admiral, Texas Navy
- Speaker at five Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Seminars, and
Author of “Pooling in Texas” and “The General Land Office
Audit Program from the perspective of the Producer/Lessee.”